"If a cluttered desk signs a cluttered mind, of what, then, is an empty desk a sign?"

Saturday, February 13, 2010

Hoarders

The most amazing show from A & E caught my attention.

"Hoarders" is one of the funniest shows I have ever seen. I particularly find it humorous as I have some of the tendencies that these people exhibit. I can also understand where many of them are coming from.

In the first episodes I watched, there were two different hoarders.

One was a man with two adopted children. In all honesty, I did not think his house looked that bad!

One child has special needs and is just about ready to hit the pre-teen age years. Big time behavior problem in the works!

A social worker on the program was smugly alleging that the child's behavior had to do with his messy house! Yeah, right! He was also implying that he could handle the child. My professional instincts says he could not!

Apparently they threatened to take the kids away from the father!

Now that stunned me. I can almost guarantee that child would never be placed, let alone in such an apparently loving home.

And is not a messy home better than an uncaring environment?

Does this man need help? You bet! Does he need to be threatened or be the subject of finger pointing- no way! He ought to be applauded for accepting a special needs child!
~~~
Then there was a young mother living with her teenage daughter. They had lived with the grandmother who had died not unrecently.

The finger wagging started. It winds up the teen is a bit of a hoarder herself. So then, it was not only the mother's mess!

Both mother and daughter are very sentimental about stuff that belonged to the grandmother.

Been there! Done that!
~~
As I continued to watch it seemed that the homes they showed got worse although there are a series of homes that "Hoarders" is attempting to improve.

Some of these places were really disgusting. I'd imagine "How much is too much?" is defined by distinguishing primarily clutter from utter filth.

No comments:

Post a Comment